Friday, August 5, 2011

Jerry Reed - "She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft)"

She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft) - The Essential Jerry Reed

(Debuted July 24, 1982, Peaked #57, 9 Weeks on the Chart)

As a kid, I was most aware of Jerry Reed from his movie roles, especially as Cletus Snow in Smokey & the Bandit. Since my parents were also fans of country music, I also picked up on his novelty tunes when they came out. However, it wasn't until much later before I ever realized what an immense talent he was on the guitar.

One of my favorite Jerry Reed songs is "She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft), a lesson about what happens when you get divorced. It failed to make the pop Top 40, but was Reed's third (and final) country #1. Yes, it's a funny story...but sometimes the best comedy has an element of truth to it. And if that's true, the story behind this song is as painful as it is funny.



No comments:

Post a Comment