Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Smokey Robinson - "Just to See Her"

Just to See Her (Single Version) - One Heartbeat

(Debuted March 28, 1987, Peaked #8, 21 Weeks on the chart)

I was born in 1972, which means that Smokey Robinson had already left The Miracles by the time I was around. Similarly, I was way too young to pay any attention to his mid-70s solo material and only remember his early 80s songs "Cruisin'" and "Being With You" as songs that played on the radio but weren't anything I would pay attention to at 8 or 9 years old. However, I would be hooked on oldies radio when I was 13 years old and would get an education on who Smokey was through that. In the spring of 1987, I was 14 and interested in girls...and here comes Smokey with a song that helped me understand that the ladies liked a smooth-talking dude.

"Just to See Her" is another one of those songs that I can easily identify with the late spring and early summer of 1987, because it was played all over the place. In addition to being a Top 10 pop hit, it was a #2 R&B single and topped the adult contemporary survey as well. That multi-format (a word that once was "crossover") success marked one of the final high points of Motown before Berry Gordy sold the label in 1988.



No comments:

Post a Comment