Thursday, July 14, 2011

Edie Brickell & the New Bohenians - "Circle"

Circle - Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars

(Debuted April 8, 1989, Peaked #48, 10 Weeks on the Chart)

I really paid attention to "Circle" the first time I heard it. I don't know why, though. At the time, I did have a friend who decided to hang out with a different group of guys, so perhaps the lyrics about a friend who doesn't come around anymore stuck with me, but I really don't remember. I do remember I was really impressed with the song in a way that "What I Am" hadn't managed to do.

Or...let me say it this way...while "What I Am" was the big hit, "Circle" was the song that actually made me want to buy Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars on cassette.

Between that and "Little Miss S." (which played on my local album-oriented rock station but missed the Hot 100), I was looking forward to more material from the band. However, despite performing one of Bob Dylan's songs in Born On the Fourth of July and one more album, they never returned to the Hot 100 after "Circle." Edie Brickell eventually became Mrs. Paul Simon. The band is still together and occasionally tour and record, but it appears their hitmaking potential has passed.



No comments:

Post a Comment