Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cyndi Lauper - "She Bop"

She Bop - She's So Unusual (Remastered)

(Debuted July 21, 1984, Peaked #3, 18 Weeks on the Chart)

In ten days, my little girl turns 13. While I'm enjoying watching her grow up, I am still aware of how I was at her age and that fact frightens the hell out of me. She's still her Daddy's little girl, but I know I'm going to have to deal with boys soon, and those boys are going to have an agenda that is a complete opposite from the one I want for my daughter. In a way, I realize it's payback for what I did when I was younger...but I don't have any intention of letting up when that first boy comes over to visit.

This has very little to do with "She Bop," except for the fact that the song came out when I was just a little younger than my daughter is now. When it came out, it didn't take long for the older brothers and sisters of my friends to start whispering to us what the song was about. Masturbation. And not just masturbation, but female masturbation. At that age, I had no idea that girls did stuff like that.

So, any "No way!" retorts were met with words from the lyrics. From the pages of a magazine, to a mention of "going south" and the line, "They say I better stop or I'll go blind," the arguments were persuasive. Since we saw the free-spirited Cyndi Lauper as a little weird in the more straight-laced Reagan years, perhaps some dismissed the subject of the song as a play for attention. In that sense, it probably worked.



No comments:

Post a Comment