Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Night Ranger - "When You Close Your Eyes"

When You Close Your Eyes - Midnight Madness

(Debuted July 14, 1984, Peaked #14, 17 Weeks on the Chart)

After time has passed and life goes on, it's perfectly natural to wonder about whether those whose paths once ran along with yours and then diverged ever think back to "those days." I can relate to that; sometimes I wonder how old friends and girlfriends turned out after we lost touch. That seems to be the idea behind this song.

In 1984, you had to be living under a rock to miss the mania that was "Sister Christian." Heck, I lived in the middle of nowhere at the time and it was part of the soundtrack of the Summer of '84 for me. Then, one day I saw the video for "When You Close Your Eyes" on MTV and immediately took to it. Perhaps the line about learning about love "in the back of a Chevrolet" caught my attention (I was still a little young to do anything but hope when it came to that subject), but I'm sure the melody and guitar lines hooked me as well. I still don't have any idea how the song wasn't as big a hit as "Sister Christian" was.

It's interesting to say, but hearing "When You Close your Eyes" immediately takes me back to that summer and memories of things that are long gone. Such is the power of music.




No comments:

Post a Comment