Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force - "All Cried Out"

All Cried Out - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam With Full Force

(Debuted July 26, 1986, Peaked #8, 25 Weeks on the Chart)

In 1985, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force appeared in the lower reaches of the Top 40 with "I Wonder if I Take You Home," a dance-fueled song that was presented to us (I say that as I was a teen at the time and was part of a church group that had modern music presented to us as a way of connecting with us on certain subjects) as a warning against "giving it up." Actually, I was the one who keyed in on the fact that she wasn't saying "no" in the song as much as "not yet, I want you to respect me," which was then avoided by those who asked me to consider the words in the first place. That said, they meant well. Now, I'm a father of a girl who is now the same age as I was then and I'm realizing that she's going to start having that inner dialogue herself.

But this entry isn't about "I Wonder if I Take You Home." (See? I'm dropping it too, right when it's become uncomfortable). It's about the song that followed it up...almost a year later.

"All Cried Out" is a ballad that has aged really well over the years. In a way, it can be seen as a logical corollary to the message of "I Wonder if I Take You Home," where she gave in to temptation and took it hard when he left anyway. On the other hand, it is a great song about dealing with the aftermath of infidelity and a breakup that resulted from it. The fact that Lisa Lisa was 19 years old when the song was released and was able to put in a convincing performance says a lot. It points to a vocal range that she hasn't really been able to show with her more dance-oriented material.

Sang as a duet with Full Force members Paul Anthony and Bow-Legged Lou, the song offers both sides of the affected couple. The male side eventually comes back to apologize (as we sometimes do once we realize we've just made a mistake and really don't want to lose the good thing we once had), but she's not having any of it. Even if it means she knows it's going to hurt.



No comments:

Post a Comment