Thursday, July 12, 2012

Neil Diamond - "Hello Again"

Hello Again - The Jazz Singer (Original Songs from the Motion Picture)

(Debuted January 31, 1981, Peaked #6, 16 Weeks on the Chart)

As one of the three Top 10 pop singles from Neil Diamond's soundtrack to The Jazz Singer, there are two ways to look at it. That was Diamond's biggest-selling LP, so the three hits represent the artist at his peak. To some, however, it's the moment he decided to drift toward an adult contemporary style after spending a decade and a half flirting with other sounds. I guess it depends on which type of fan you are to figure out which side of the coin you take on that.

To my ears, however, "Hello Again" is a great ballad even if it's a safe performance. It's used in a dramatic scene in the movie, but in my own life there have been a few situations where I happened to find myself in places and situations I'd left behind as I moved on with my life (or, as the line goes, "I put my heart above my head").  But, in the end, when I come back, it's always great to have an open set of arms. It's that feeling that makes me so nostalgic about this particular song. 



2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how incredible this show is, the lights, the music, the skill and amity of the band but above all,cheap neil diamond tickets the sheer being there and unmistakeable voice that is Neil Diamond. I'm not sure that I don't prefer the innovative though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic Neil. An underrated ballad.

    ReplyDelete