Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Boston -- "Can'tcha Say (You Believe in Me)/Still in Love"

Can'tcha Say (You Believe In Me) [Still In Love] - Third Stage

(Debuted March 7, 1987, Peaked #20, 13 Weeks on the Charts)

To a 14 year-old's ears, Boston's music was like candy. Since I was too young to really get into the band when they released their first two albums, I really didn't understand what was so great about them when Third Stage came out. "Amanda" was a #1 single, but it was kind of lame to me. The followup, "We're Ready" was a little better but still not as great as the adults were claiming the group was. Then, one day while doing my homework with the radio on, I heard the guitar solo for "Can'tcha Say" and it made me want to find their other records.

At that age, I wasn't disappointed when I discovered the earlier records. They were much better than the neo-Adult Contemporary sound I was hearing from the Third Stage singles. In the process, I begame a big fan and began exploring some of the other 1970s bands known as Classic Rock today. As for the 1980s version of the band, it would be the final hit single they had before needing another long period to put out another record.



1 comment:

  1. I grew up listening to my brother's Boston albums, so Third Stage was a long time coming for me. That was MY Boston, no matter how lame critics thought it was. And I played the hell out of "Amanda," sadly. :)

    ReplyDelete