Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kate Bush -- "Running Up That Hill"

Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) - Hounds of Love

(Debuted September 7, 1985, Peaked #30, 19 Weeks on the Chart)

I know I heard this song a few times when it was new, but didn't remember much more than the name of the artist. At 12 years old, I wasn't exactly tuned into Kate Bush's material, except to notice she was a redhead (a weakness I've dealt with my entire adult life). Instead, I learned to appreciate this song as I matured, which seems to be the case with a lot of songs.

Notice I said "matured" there. I'm still not convinced I've grown up yet.

I've seen some different interpretations about what "Running Up That Hill" means. Some have said it was about a woman getting in touch with her own sexuality, others have noticed the "make a deal with God" line and said she was finding religion. Those two interpretations alone show how different people can see vastly different things from the same words.

The song was originally written by Bush as "A Deal With God," but title was changed when she realized it wasn't going to get played on the radio or sell any copies to people who weren't already fans of hers. It went on to be her only Top 40 American hit despite her popularity in the U.K. and among college radio types.