Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Outfield - "All the Love in the World"

All the Love - Play Deep

(Debuted June 7, 1986, Peaked #19, 16 Weeks on the Chart)

I really have no idea what it is that causes me to pay attention to lesser-charting follow-ups to big hits, but it seems to be something I do. Anybody who's read this blog on a regular basis has likely picked up on the fact that I tend to feature them more often here than I do the bigger and better-known singles. Part of that is because I'm saving the better stuff for later (avoiding the inevitable "blow out" that comes once the bigger stuff is brought out), but the truth is, I'm drawn to stuff that wasn't appreciated more in its own time.

In fact, people who remember the rest of the stuff (and not just the songs that get played on "all hits all the time" radio) tend to be bigger fans. Maybe that's why I feature those songs...I am aiming this blog at the deeper fan and the curious seeker, rather than the casual listener.

One song that fits into the "under-appreciated" file is "All the Love in the World." The second single from The Outfield's debut LP Play Deep (which, by the way, is a nice baseball reference, and a sly pun by the English group), it fell short of the Top 10 status of the previous single "Your Love." However, it had a great guitar-based ryhthm to it and an echoed vocal that -- while not as "poppy" as its predecessor was -- was pleasant in its own way.




1 comment:

  1. Ah, The Outfield. I even bought their second album "Bangin'".

    ReplyDelete