Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cinderella -- "Coming Home"

Coming Home - Long Cold Winter

(Debuted January 21, 1989, Peaked #36, 10 Weeks on the Chart)

When this song was running its way onto the Top 40 and on MTV, I was in the 11th grade. Like many others, at that point in my life I was faced with the uncertainty of what I was going to do after graduating from high school the next year. Thus, the opening line "I took a walk down the road" shortly followed by "a man's gotta make his way" caught my ear very quickly, even if the rest of the song mentioned heading back after being gone.

Cinderella made its debut with 1986's Night Songs, and the group's association with Bon Jovi and Poison lumped it in with the other "hair bands" of the day. In 1988, they released their follow-up, Long Cold Winter, which featured more of a blues-influenced sound even as it still fell in line with glam metal. If the shift was a way of distancing themselves from a rapidly crowding pack of hard-edged rockers, it didn't help them avoid the drop in popularity that they exprienced once grunge arrived.



No comments:

Post a Comment