Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Katrina & the Waves - "That's the Way"

That's the Way - The Best of Katrina and the Waves

(Debuted July 22, 1989, Peaked #16, 12 Weeks on the Chart)

"Then vs. Now" is sometimes an interesting game to play in one's mind.

In the summer of 1989, I heard the song "That's the Way" while at a friend's house. My friend had a TV set in his room (black & white, but that really didn't matter much to us) and even had a cable hookup. While goofing around in his room, we usually just put MTV on and let it play in the background. Sometimes a good song came on to catch our attention, and sometimes something came on that just made somebody turn the damned thing off. However, there were times when something new popped up and caught the attention of this young music lover, and "That's the Way" was one of those songs.

At first, I loved it. I had been burned out on "Walking on Sunshine" when it was a hit in 1985, and the "new" sound that came out on this record was different. Today, it comes across as formulaic, while "Sunshine" has improved with the passage of time. Watching the video again, I think I can see what probably attracted me to the song when I was 16 years old.




No comments:

Post a Comment